Tarte Tatin Aux Pommes
For 6 people. Preparation time: about 45 min. Cooking time: 60 min.
- For the pastry:
- 250 g plain flour
- 100 g butter, chilled, then cut into cubes
- 100 g sugar
- 1 egg
- For the filling:
- 2 kg apples
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- Double or ice-cream, to serve
- 1 mould 26 cm
- Put the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and whiz until they look like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and 15-30ml of cold water with the machine running until the pastry just comes together. (Add more if necessary)
- Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Peel, core and slice the apples. Melt the butter in a pan no higher than 5 cm in height and stir in the sugar.
- Add the apples and cook over a medium heat, until the sugar becomes a wonderful golden brown colour and bubbles between the apples
- When the apples are cooked remove from the heat. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 4mm; gently roll this out over the mould and using your rolling pin as a cutter. Tuck the pastry edges into the mould and prick it gently with a fork
- Place this into the oven until the pastry is golden then turn the oven down to about 180C, cover with some baking paper and cook for another 10 mins
- When the tatin is cooked remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10 mins. Then place over a high heat for 1 min then turn out of the mould.
- Serve with cream or ice cream