Victoria Sponge Cake
- 110g butter - soft
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 110g self raising flour
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Line 2x18cm cake tins with baking parchment
- Use a hand mixer to cream the butter and the sugar together until pale.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Sift over the flour and fold in using a large metal spoon. The mixture should be of a dropping consistency - if it isn't, add a little milk.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning on to a wire rack to cool.
- Sandwich the cakes together curd with whipped cream with jam, lemon