Steak And Kidney Pie
Preparation Time: 10 minutes. Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 450g/1lb lean beef stewing or braising cubes
- 225g/8oz kidney, cored and cut into pieces
- 15ml/1tbsp oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 100g/4oz oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 30ml/2tbsp gravy granules
- 500g prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a pan heat oil and brown the beef for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a large ovenproof pie dish. Add kidney, onion and mushrooms, cut into pieces. Mix together stock, tomato purée and gravy granules and pour over the meat and vegetables. Cool slightly then spoon into the base of the pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Roll out the pastry large enough to cover the pie dish. Dampen the edges of the dish with a little water and place pastry on top of the meat mixture, trim off any excess pastry and lightly press the edge to seal. Brush with the egg and place into a preheated oven for 2 hours. To prevent burning, once the pastry is risen and golden brown, cover with foil.
- Serve with mashed potato, peas and additional gravy.