Serves 4 people. Cooking time: 3 hours 15 min.
- 6 venison steaks
- 500 g of venison bones
- 1 tbs lard
- 4 onions
- 1 large carrot
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tbs flour
- ½ l of strong red wine
- ½ l of stock
- 50 g butter plus 4 nuts of butter
- 3 tbs brandy
- 60 g raisins, dried and soaked in warm water
- Green peppercorns
- Melt the lard in a pan and add the bones with the chopped onions, grated carrot, bouquet garni and moisten with the vinegar, and let evaporate, sprinkle over the flour and mix in until browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, wine and stock and leave to cook for about 2 ½ hours over a gentle heat.
- Pass through a sieve and put back on to the heat and reduce until the sauce is syrupy.
- Melt some butter and cook the venison, don't over cook, and when they are pink remove from the pan and leave in a warm place.
- Deglaze the pan with the brandy, raisins, peppercorns and the sauce you have made, bring to the boil and then correct the seasoning.
- Add the nuts of butter by whisking them into your sauce.
- Pour over your venison steaks and serves with mash potatoes