Preparation time: 5 min. Cooking time: 10-15 min.
- 30 g butter
- 30 g flour
- 570 ml milk
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Warm the milk in a saucepan — don't boil it
- In another pan melt the butter over a low heat, and when it's melted add the flour continuously mixing it all together — this is called a roux — let this cook for a while and you will notice that the colour changes and becomes golden (blonde). When this is done you are ready to add the warmed milk.
- Add the milk little by little making sure you don't stop beating it in, this will stop the sauce becoming lumpy. When all the milk is added you can add the salt, pepper and some grated nutmeg.
- If the sauce does have a few lumps don't worry as you can pass it through a sieve.
- This is really a versatile sauce and you can use it for: cannelloni, cauliflower cheese, soufflé ......