Cheese And Onion Pie
Serves 4 people. Cooking Time 1½ hour approx.
- For the pastry
- (Or you can use ready made)
- For the filling
- 2 med sized onions, finely sliced or baby onions
- 1 large leek — sliced finely
- 6 spring onions
- Cheese sauce — use this as a guide line you may not need it all
- 30 g plain flour
- 30 g butter
- 570 ml milk
- 200 g mature cheddar
- Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g red Leicester cheese
- 200 g Stilton
- For the pastry mix the flour, baking powder, salt, butter and egg yolk in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the grated cheese and stir until well combined.
- Gradually add the water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing continuously until the mixture just comes together as a dough. (You may not need to use all of the water.) Roll the dough into a ball, then wrap it in cling film and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and put the baby onions on a baking tray pour over a little olive oil and roast until tender, (about 20 mins).
- Make the cheese sauce in the usual way just adding in the other two cheeses.
- In a bowl mix together the onions and leek with the cheese sauce and pour into your pie dish.
- Roll out your pastry and cover the pie, brush it with a beaten egg trimming off the excess pastry, then make two small holes in the lid to allow the steam to escape
- Bake for 25-30 mins, or until golden-brown