- 1.5 kg oxtail, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 garlic head
- 2 carrots
- ½ celeriac, chopped
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 litre stock
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Heat the oil in a large in a pan. Brown the oxtail until brown all over. Put the browned oxtail into an oven proof dish.
- Return the frying pan to a low heat and add the onions, garlic, carrots and celeriac. You may need to add a little extra oil, cook until softened and lightly browned.
- Tip the vegetables on top of the beef and add the bay leaves. Add the stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the casserole dish with a lid and cook in the centre of the oven for about 3 hours. The meat should be falling off the bones.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Nutrition information provided by Roving Chef’s Registered Dietician, Joan Atkinson
- Another good source of protein this recipe also includes a nice selection of vegetables. Parsnips are a good source of fibre, vitamin C, and Folate. Celeriac is an excellent source of vitamins K and C and a good source of B6. Carrots are a great source of vitamin A and folate, and parsley is abundant in beta carotene.
- Combining foods such as oxtail, vegetables, and herbs is a fabulous way to obtain the synergistic benefits of food -- working together to provide greater health effects! All of these vegetables are available at Borough Market, a fabulous place to find all the foods you need for a savoury and healthy meal!