Breast Of Duck With Quince
For 4 people
- 2 duck breasts, about 300 g
- 2 quinces
- 1 bottle of Banyuls
- Pinch of cinnamon, mace, star anis, 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- Xérès vinegar
- Butter - cubed
- Peel the quinces and cut into 4's.
- Pour the Banyuls into a pan and add the quinces, spices and sugar and bring to the boil,
- Leave bubbling for about 5 mins then cover and leave to cool
- Score the duck breast skins, and placing them skin down cook gently over a low heat, removing the fat from the duck, leave to cook for roughly 6 mins then turn the heat up high and cook for a further 3 mins. They should be cooked to pink.
- Remove the breasts form the heat, cover with foil and keep warm
- Throw away the fat from the pan, and gently reheat the quinces, add a splash of the vinegar add a little of the wine you used to cook the quinces with and reduce ending with a strong sauce. To this mix in using a whisk a few cubes of cold butter, cube by cube, until you end with a creamyish sauce
- Cut the duck breasts into strips and serve on warm plates with slices of the quinces and some sauce poured over.