Grouse breasts with glazed beetroot
For 4 people. Preparation time: 30 min to 1 hour. Cooking time: 30 min to 1 hour.
- For the glazed beetroot:
- 50g butter
- 1 medium, finely chopped
- 500g young beetroot, peeled and diced
- Maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs honey
- For the sauce:
- 300ml red wine
- 450ml grouse stock
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 25g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 8 fresh young grouse breasts
- Olive oil
- To cook the beetroot, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes until softened and add the beetroot. Pour in 150ml water and simmer for 15 minutes, turn up the heat and evaporate any remaining liquid. When the liquid has disappeared, stir in the honey over a high heat for 2 or 3 minutes until it begins to caramelise. Taste and season. Keep warm.
- Put the red wine and redcurrant jelly in a saucepan and reduce to about 2 tbsp. Add the grouse stock and boil to reduce by half. Taste and season. Whisk in the butter and do not allow the sauce to boil. Keep warm.
- Season the grouse breasts with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until very hot. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan then the breasts, skinned-side down. Fry for 2 minutes then turn over and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Slice the breasts and pour over the sauce and serve with mash potatoes.