Serves 4. Preparation time: 10 min. Cooking time: 40 min.
- 175g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 280 ml milk
- 2 tbsp ground nut oil or beef dripping
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- A heavy duty baking tray either use a round one or a 4 bun tray
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C and then turn down to 190C when you put the puddings in
- Sieve the flour into a bowl then make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into a mug or another bowl and pour them into the well. Add the salt and pepper.
- Mix the eggs with an electric whisk and as you beat them slowly incorporate the flour then add the milk until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of oil or beef fat into the roasting tin and allow it to pre-heat in the oven. When the oil is very hot and smoking a little pour in the batter - if you are using a 4 bun tray pour in roughly 2 cm of batter — this will mean you may have some mixture left over but you can always do seconds!!
- Place the tin on a high shelf in the oven and cook the Yorkshire pudding for about 40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately